SCOTUS Assigns Justices To Districts
28 U.S. Code § 42. Allotment of Supreme Court justices to circuits
- U.S. Code
The Chief Justice of the United States and the associate justices of the Supreme Court shall from time to time be allotted as circuit justices among the circuits by order of the Supreme Court. The Chief Justice may make such allotments in vacation.
A justice may be assigned to more than one circuit, and two or more justices may be assigned to the same circuit.
It is ordered that the following allotment be made of The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices of this Court among the circuits, pursuant to Title 28, United States Code, Section 42 and that such allotment be entered of record, effective November 20, 2020.
- For the District of Columbia Circuit – John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice
- For the First Circuit – Stephen Breyer, Associate Justice
- (Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island)
- For the Second Circuit – Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice (Connecticut, New York, Vermont)
- For the Third Circuit – Samuel A. Alito, Jr., Associate Justice (Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virgin Island)
- For the Fourth Circuit – John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice (Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia)
- For the Fifth Circuit – Samuel A. Alito, Jr., Associate Justice (Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas)
- For the Sixth Circuit – Brett M. Kavanaugh, Associate Justice (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee)
- For the Seventh Circuit – Amy Coney Barrett, Associate Justice (Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin)
- For the Eighth Circuit – Brett M. Kavanaugh, Associate Justice (Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota)
- For the Ninth Circuit – Elena Kagan, Associate Justice (Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Nevada, Northern Mariana Islands, Washington)
- For the Tenth Circuit – Neil M. Gorsuch, Associate Justice (Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, Wyoming)
- For the Eleventh Circuit – Clarence Thomas, Associate Justice (Alabama, Florida, Georgia)
- For the Federal Circuit – John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice.